Sunday, March 16, 2014

Maggie 3/16

WOW! Only one week of lead teaching left. It is really hard to believe how this year has gone by. I am seeing my units start to wind down as we approach unit tests and spring break.

As I have been running daily 5 by myself for the last few weeks, I have found more and more what I like and don't like about that system. I don't know if it is because we aren't really doing Daily 5, or something else, but I am starting to lean more towards using a different reading program next year in my own classroom. I find that often, the students are not fully engaged in the centers, (because it is centers, not really daily 5) and I have a lot of classroom management issues because of that. It is confusing for the students that it should be "very quiet to silent" in the room, when they are supposed to be working with a partner or a small group. When it isn't quiet though, students who are trying to read or listen can't do that without being interrupted.

I have found comfort and success in Writer's Workshop, and I would really like to try out reader's workshop next year, in place of Daily 5. Like Sam, I know I will be doing a lot of reading and researching this summer about different ways to teach reading and writing (and other subjects) in order to figure out which might work best for me.

I, too, am excited to get a lot of work done for 800 classes and to prepare for interviews by finishing my portfolio and applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment