Sunday, March 23, 2014

Norah's 3/23 Reflection

This week had its ups and downs, but it ended on a good note. It feels so crazy that we are at the end of our lead teaching. I've learned so much during lead teaching that has changed me as a teacher and person. It has opened my mind to different ways of teaching, what works, what doesn't, and how I need to react to students to allow for the best situation. I've also learned that I can only do so much, to not always put the blame all on myself.

Overall classroom management has been going very well in my classroom. Until recently I've been having more frustrating moments. My students seem to be pushing their limits with me as their teacher. I've created great friendships with my students and they've let me into their families and experiences. I feel a great bond with many students in my class. Something happened this past week that impacted me more than the student will ever know. The student and I were having a conversation about his dad, that I had never met. I asked him numerous questions, and the student was very excited to share things about his dad. The next dad, his dad came to the school to meet me. His dad doesn't speak English, but I used as much Spanish as I know. This student's mom is very involved in the school, but the dad informed me that this was his first time coming to the school. He hasn't felt comfortable in the past. I told him that he is welcome to come in at any time and sit with his son in class. From this experience it reminded me why I became a teacher. I want to reach not only the students, but their families too.

Teaching a full science and social studies unit has been a very interesting experience. I planned great lesson with Maggie during our MSU classes and then when the unit began weeks later we felt unattached from those ideas. It was hard to switch back and forth between the two subjects. Towards the end of the unit I finally felt like I had gained understanding on how to maneuver between the two subjects. I also learned that not the teacher doesn't have to bring fireworks to every lesson, but if the teacher give ownership to the students they can be in charge of the fireworks!

I've made amazing friendships with my fellow interns and my students. I get very emotional thinking about leaving all of this in 5 weeks. The students at Burton have forever changed me and my outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment