Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sam Reflection 3/23

I can hardly believe that six weeks went so fast! I know looking back that I have grown a ton through this experience and feel a lot more confident in taking my own classroom next year. There were definitely big highs and big lows, but I think this lead teaching experience was essential in preparing me to be a prepared graduate.

This week was pretty successful overall. My Readers Workshop mini-unit and my Writer's Workshop unit came to an end; finality always feels good. The Reading Street test I don't think was an accurate assessment for how the Readers Workshop unit went; it didn't really have the kids applying the skills I taught them. I also think that a lot of changes throughout the year throws them off a little bit. I really want to come up with a plan about how I am going to do literacy instruction from the beginning of of the school year and set clear expectations, procedures, and lessons for that. It is crazy to be going from Reading Street to Daily 5 to Reader's Workshop. I also feel like all the curriculum took me farther away from the Common Core Standards than I would have liked to. In my creation of a curriculum map, I want to be looking at the standards, as well.

We had a Wax Museum for the final presentation for Writer's Workshop and my class got to share their Famous African American speeches with the other 5th grade class. It was so cool! I was so proud of my kids and they were proud of the work they had put into it, as well! It was a really great experience teaching two units of Writer's Workshop; I really have learned the value of an authentic audience and presentation!

I can hardly believe that we only have four more weeks; there is so much packed into those weeks! I am looking forward to observing other classrooms and finishing up grad school and the convocation video! Perseverance and endurance starts now!

No comments:

Post a Comment